Saturday, December 15, 2007

Marketing on the Razor's Edge

While at the grocery store, I tried to find a general-purpose toothpaste, a box that said something like "Regular Mint Toothpaste." But there was nothing like that on the shelf. All the toothpastes were specialized! Each had a label proclaiming some unique benefit:

  • Extra Whitening
  • Luminous
  • Breath Strips
  • Tartar Control
  • Anti Cavity
  • Pro Health
  • Sensitive

The Crest brand alone had umpteen different varieties. Then it occurred to me that the toothpaste manufacturers understand an important marketing concept:

The more focused and specific a value proposition, the better chance of selling.

By offering a variety of specialized formulations, the manufacturers sell more product in the end. While all customers want to brush their teeth, some also think, "I wish my teeth were whiter," or, "My breath could be fresher." They get hooked by these special formulations, and the sales add up. Now it appears the manufacturers don't even bother to offer a general-purpose toothpaste. It might require more work and cost to market so many varieties, but the strategy works.

I find the temptation is to think, "I want a catch-all product and message because I don't want to miss any customers." But actually the reverse is true: You will miss customers if your value proposition is not specific enough. It is not possible to be all things to all people, and the modern marketplace rewards specialization.

In short, meeting a specific need through a focused product and message is always an easier sell. Call it marketing on the razor's edge. Or in this case, the toothpaste's bottle.

P.S. Tip of the hat to Lance Teel at S1 for raising this issue with me recently.

No comments: